The Vice President of Ghana, Dr. Alhaji Mahamudu Bawumia today in his new year message as he ushered Ghanaians into 2019 used the opportunity to highlight the successes achieved by his government with respect to promises made by NPP prior to the 2016 elections.
He acknowledged the fact that it has been hard but fruitful work for the country since taking up the mandate. Dr. Bawumia further went on to thank God to have President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo as President of Ghana.
In his statement he said “As we come to the end of 2018, we have to thank God for all his mercies. We are thankful for what God has made possible for President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and the NPP to accomplish during our first two years in office”.
Some of the policies listed by the vice president,Dr. Alhaji Mahamudu Bawumia, which he attributes to their successful two years based on campaign promise and delivery basis includes but not limited to:
- Free SHS to reduce the hardship on parents.
- Restore teacher training allowances to reduce the hardship on teacher trainees .
- Restore nursing training allowances to reduce the hardship on nursing trainees.
- Establish a Zongo Development Fund and we have delivered.
- We promised a renewed focus on agriculture through the Planting For Food and Jobs program and we have delivered.
- Issue National ID Cards and we are delivering.
- Implement a National Property Digital Address System and we have delivered.
- Digitise the clearance of goods at the ports through paperless ports and we have delivered.
- Establish three Development Authorities (Northern, Middle Belt and Coastal) and we have delivered.
- One District One Factory program and we are delivering.
- We promised a One Village One Dam program and we are delivering.
- We promised a One District One Warehouse program and we are delivering.
- Implement a Nation Builders Corps program to reduce the hardships on the graduate unemployed.
- Implement a National Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program to provide support and reduce hardships of entrepreneurs.
- Rehabilitate VALCO to resume operations.
- Leverage our natural resources to obtain a $2 billion innovative infrastructure financing arrangement with Sinohydro .
- Establish integrated bauxite and aluminium industry and we are delivering.
- Implement mobile money interoperability.
- Reduce electricity prices.
- Reduce the hardship in obtaining a drivers license.
- Reduce the hardship in obtaining a passport.
- Reduce the hardships in renewing the national health insurance.
- Establish an Office of the Special Prosecutor on Corruption.
- Revive Ghana’s railways and we are on course.
- Transparent allocation of Ghana’s oil blocs.
- Reverse the trend of declining economic growth.
- Restore discipline in the management of our public finances and we have delivered with lower fiscal deficits.
- Pass a fiscal Responsibility Act.
- Establish a Fiscal Council.
- Establish a Financial Stability Council.
- Reduce inflation to single digits.
- Reduce interest rates and we are delivering.
- Keep our exchange rate relatively stable even in the midst of global volatilities.
- Reverse Ghana’s trade position with the rest of the world from deficit to surplus.
- Reduce taxes and we reduced and abolished 17 different taxes in two years.
- Revive the NHIS and we have cleared the GHC1.2 billion arrears inherited under the NHIS. The NHIS is working again.
- Move away from a predominance of sole sourcing to tendering in procurement.
- Bring about a change from destructive galamsey activities to a more regulated small scale mining activities.
- Reduce the hardships of the disabled and increase the share of the DACF to persons with disabilities by 50%.
- Double the Capitation Grant.
- Create six new region.
He ended his statement by saying “It has been an honour for me Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia to serve as his Vice-President.We look forward to a blossoming 2019.Happy New Year in advance”.
Are you feeling the impact of the successes of the interventions underscored above by the Veep? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below.