Connect with us

Politics

Battle over GHC80bn debt: NDC members are hypocrites – Oppong Nkrumah

Published

on

Battle over GHC80bn debt: NDC members are hypocrites - Oppong Nkrumah

Battle over GHC80bn debt: NDC members are hypocrites – Oppong Nkrumah

The Minister for Information, Mr. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, has described the National Democratic Congress (NDC) claim that the Akufo-Addo-led administration is on a borrowing spree as fallacious and without basis.

The call by the Minority, saying the New Patriotic Party (NPP) government has borrowed GHS 80billion within two years since being in office does not hold water and is a mere plot to mislead Ghanaians, the Minister stated.

Mr. Oppong-Nkrumah said the NDC parliamentarians are not being truthful to Ghanaians with their claims, in the sense that, the erstwhile John Dramani Mahama administration approved many of these loans, which are now maturing and being disbursed under the NPP government, but they have rather turned round and are blaming the NPP for what they did while in office.

The NDC minority in parliament, led Mr. Fifi Kwetey, Member of Parliament for Ketu South, Mr. Cassiel Atto Forson, Member for Ajumako/Anyan/Essiam and others called a news conference last week Thursday and alleged that Ghana’s current total debt stands at GHS 200billion, equivalent to 58 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

According to the Minority, whilst the debt stock during their reign stood at GHS 120billion, representing 56 percent of GDP, the NPP government has within two years, increased the debt by GHS80 billion and yet has nothing to show for it.

Addressing a news conference in Accra last week Friday to react to the NDC claim, Mr. Oppong-Nkrumah said they (NDC) fed Ghanaians with falsehood.

“It is also amazing to hear people who understand national accounting to suggest that a change in the nominal debt stock means President Akufo-Addo has taken new loans of GHS 80billion.

As always, the very persons making the claim know the first addition to our debt stock is the current disbursement of loans contracted under their tenure.

“The ongoing disbursements of loans for the Eastern University and Tema Mpakadan railway, just to mention a few, all contribute to the GHS 80billion change in our nominal debt stock. How can anybody know this and make a claim that Akufo-Addo’s government has added GHS 80billion to our debt stock,” Mr. Oppong-Nkrumah quizzed.

The Information minister added: “Government has not borrowed GHS 80billion within two and a half years. Ghana’s domestic market can never even release that kind of money in two and half years. Our market is not as liquid as that”.

Expressing surprise about why the NDC has shifted from its previous position of rejecting calls for an account of borrowings, Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said the outrageous claims by the minority were part of the opposition party’s regular attempt to “scare Ghanaians with falsehoods.”

Mr. Nkrumah explained that the administration was capped at not exceeding US$ 500m in new project loans in 2017 and 2018, under the IMF program and has abided by that.

In 2019, the administration is further capped at not exceeding US$ 750m in new project loans and again intends to abide by it.

While advising Ghanaians to dismiss the NDCs usual ‘scare propaganda’ on the economy, Mr. Nkrumah argues that the evidence of the improved debt situation lies in the fact that, even including the financial sector bailout, the debt-GDP ratio which measures debt sustainability remains at 56%, thus negating the NDC’s claims of ballooning debt. He cautioned the Minority once again to desist from putting out false claims about the Ghanaian economy.

Source: Myjoyonline.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Politics

‘Be humble and learn from Asiedu Nketia on how to conduct elections’ – NDC to EC Boss

Published

on

‘Be humble and learn from Asiedu Nketia on how to conduct elections’ – NDC to EC Boss

Ashanti Regional Communications Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Nurudeen Abass,­ has told Electoral Commission (EC) Chair, Jean Adukwei Mensa to pick lessons from people who know more about elections in Ghana to avoid ‘basic’ mistakes.

This comes after many centers, on Day 1 of the ongoing Limited Voters’ Registration Exercise, faced several challenges including extremely long waiting periods, ABC News Ghana can report.

Speaking in an interview on United Television(UTV) and monitored by ABC News Ghana, Mr. Abass stated that the EC Chair, Jean Mensa ought to take a cue from people like the NDC’s Johnson Asiedu Ntekia, whom he insists are ‘well versed’ in election-related matters.

“Asiedu Nketia is the only general in Ghana politics. He understands the electoral system in Ghana more than anybody so if he says something about election and you don’t listen, you will face huge disgrace. The things Asiedu Nketia has learned in politics, she should humble herself and learn so she will know but if she decides to be all knowing, and too big, her disgrace will be bigger than what she is seeing now,” he said.

According to him, the process in the Ashanti region particularly, was riddled with huge challenges, due to the EC’s decision to make the process an online one.

“The registration didn’t go well in the Ashanti Region and I hope when Dr. Bossman Asare and Madam Jean Mensa sleep, they will think when they go to bed because they’ve been proven wrong. You see, we made them understand that this is a mass Registration, you can’t make it online for it to be possible. Unless you use offline then you can use BVD devices which can capture everyone. But the woman says she won’t listen, she says EC is independent, Bossman Asare even said we NDC’s are a threat to Ghana’s democracy so they won’t work with what we said.”

“But you know, about 70% of the centers today had a system jam during the registration and couldn’t work because you can’t use online to do a mass registration, it’s so basic but we don’t blame Jean Mensa because she doesn’t know anything about Electoral processes and she has decided not to learn, hence her disgrace,” Nurudeen Abass added.

Abass Nurudeen further detailed some happenings in the Ashanti region on Day 1 of the EC’s registration exercise.

“When you go to a place like Atwima mponua, as at 5pm, they had not even registered a single person due to system jam. Most of the people are coming from far places to register so if they are unable to register in their first try, they won’t come again. It looks like the EC boss is intentionally disenfranchising people” he said.

According to him, contrary to views that the NDC dislikes the EC Chair, their concern as a party is mainly about her actions which according to him, is an exhibition of her lack of understanding for the electoral system in the country.

“NDC as a political party’s disagreement with the EC boss doesn’t mean we don’t like her but her actions demostrates lack of understanding for electoral processes. This is her third activity she has supervised as a commissioner and she has failed in each of them. Her first test was Ayawaso West Wuogon, which is the only bye-election held in the country with 19% voter turnout, it means she fails miserably. Her second test is the IPAC meetings where she is fighting with the likes of Asiedu Nketia” he said.

The comminications officer added that the challenges that characterized the first day of the exercise was a huge disgrace to the Electoral Commission as an institution.

“It is a huge disgrace for the electoral commission as an institution. That the major systems used in our registration have failed completely so imagine if it was a big election and she refused to listen to us, and there was complete system failure like this don’t you think it will bring problems in the country” he added.

The EC has come under heavy criticisms following decision to hold the Limited Voters’ Registration exercise in only the District offices of the commission against calls by the NDC to include all electoral areas so not to disenfranchise new voters.

The Limited Voter’s Registration Excercise which commenced yesterday, 17th June was characterized by regular system failure.

EC’s assessment of Day 1 of Limited Registration Exercise

Challenges with the network resulted in a switch from the agreed online service to an offline in some centers. and a switch to offline machines in some centers.

But Speaking on Starr News in a report monitored by ABC News Ghana, the head of protocol for the Electoral Commission, Silvia Annor, described the ongoing excercise as largely smooth in most of the centers.

“Let me say that in terms of monitoring, it has been so far so good, we’ve not had any report such that we cannot work on the issues at hand. it’s immature to draw any conclusions yet but so far so good, let me say that for now” she opined.

The Protocol Head also explained that the swift shift from online to offline in some of the registration exercises was to tackle ‘unpleasant eventualities’.

“Initially, in the early hours of the day, we had some problems with some of our registration exercises, specifically with the online aspect of the registration so quickly, for those centers we shifted to the offline registration system, we have monitors all over the country and the purpose of monitoring the exercise is nip any unpleasant eventualities in the bud for example if we had problems with the online registration, we quickly shifted to offline, so that is the purpose of the monitoring, to right the wrongs, to correct the anormalies within the system” she detailed.

She however assured that effective measures will be put in place, moving forward, to minimize challenges experienced in parts of the country.

“We have regional directors on the ground, we have monitors from headquarters here in accra, we have the district officers as well, our eyes are on the ground so that if there are any problems, I can assure you that all those problems will be taken care of by the Electoral Commission of Ghana” she stated in the interview.

Source: abcnewsgh.com

Continue Reading

Politics

Ex-Egyptian president Morsi dies in court

Published

on

Ex-Egyptian president Morsi dies in court

The former Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has died during a trial, according to state TV.

Morsi reportedly fainted in a courtroom during his long standing trial after he was ousted by the military.

The 67-year-old was ousted by the army in 2013 following mass protests months after becoming the country’s first democratically elected leader.

State TV reported that the former leader of the now outlawed Islamist movement Muslim Brotherhood was in court in Cairo for a hearing on charges of espionage.

He was accused of having suspected contacts with the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas. Since his overthrow in 2013 he has been in custody on several charges.

In 2016 Morsi was sentenced to life in prison for terrorism offences separately.

His death sentences were approved this year by Egypt’s highest religious authority.

But an appeal’s court ruled overturning the life sentence and death sentences handed down to him.

The Court however ordered that Mr. Morsi be retried on other charges.

Those charges included conspiring to commit terrorist acts with foreign organisations.

Source: Africafeeds.com

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Ex-President Mahama should speak like a statesman – Deputy Information Minister

Published

on

Ex-President Mahama should speak like a statesman – Deputy Information Minister

The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) keeps accusing the Akufo-Addo-led administration of creating insecurity in the country.

Former President John Mahama feels President Akufo-Addo should be blamed for failing to guarantee the peace and safety of Ghanaians.

The former President who was speaking at the final burial rites of the NDC Chairman for Daffiama Busie Issa constituency of the Upper West Region, Richard Bayiviala Polibong,

“the way he died was tragic. We would have accepted it if he had fallen sick and died naturally but to have his life cut short through such a tragic event is not acceptable. Unfortunately, it is a reflection of the current insecurity that exists in our country. People are afraid for their lives because armed robbers have become emboldened and they’ve gone on rampage. We urge the Akufo-Addo administration to be up and doing. It is the duty of the government to secure the lives of its citizens”

However, Deputy Information Minister, Pius Enam Hadzide who feel it was a wrong platform to use in making such statements said the ruling administration has put things in place to make sure Ghanaians are secure in the country.

“Really? When government has provided over 400 vehicles to our security…the vehicles facilitate the provision of security in the country…former President should come again; he should speak like a statesman. It’s false to create the impression that there is fear in the country” he said in a panel discussion on Peace FM morning show ‘Kokrokoo’, Monday.

Source: peacefmonline.com

Continue Reading

Trending