Connect with us

General News

Three Ghanaian diplomats in US suspended for misappropriating funds

Published

on

Three Ghanaian diplomats in US suspended for misappropriating funds

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has sanctioned three officers stationed at the Ghana Mission in New York in the US, for misappropriating funds.

Their actions caused a revenue loss of over two thousand dollars to the Consulate.

According to the sector Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway, the officials were cited for fraudulent behavior by a four-man disciplinary committee.

Responding to questions on the floor of Parliament, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway said the officers had been suspended without salary for between two to six months, and they had been asked to refund the amount in question.

“The three officers were also made to refund the misappropriated funds and they did not receive salaries for the period of their suspension. This decision was also based on the fact that the evidence was circumstantial in nature.”

A repeat of events?

There have been reports of Ghanaian diplomats being involved in similar cases.

A former Accounting Officer at Ghana’s mission in Lusaka, Zambia was recently captured in the Auditor-General’s report as having misappropriated an amount of US$160,640.00 and €29,332.00, the cedi equivalent of GH¢723,425.06, contrary to Regulation 2 of Financial Administration Regulation, 2004 L.I.1802.

He is expected to cough up an amount of GHc1, 191,481.08 which comprises an amount of over GHc720,000 belonging to the mission he allegedly misappropriated as well as GHc468,000 in surcharge.

Ghana mission in Angola: Accounting Officer embezzles €64,655.00 and US$87,534.00

The audit report also revealed that Ghana lost an equivalent to GH¢531,616.75 allegedly embezzled by a former Accounting Officer of the country’s mission in Luanda, Angola.

“We noted during the audit of the accounts of Ghana Mission in Luanda, Angola, for the period June 2012 to 31 December 2014 that Mr. King Pratt Ainooson, the Accounting Officer of the Mission, embezzled €64,655.00 and US$87,534.00, equivalent to GH¢531,616.75 contrary to Regulation 2 of Financial Administration Regulation, 2004, L.I. 1802.”

The audit report said Mr. Pratt admitted the offence and signed an undertaking on 9 December 2014 to refund the embezzled amount in monthly installments of €3,500.00. 13.

“The Auditor General disallowed GH¢531,616.75 being the principal amount embezzled and in addition, he was surcharged GH¢343,956.04 bringing the total amount for a refund to GH¢875,572.79,” the audit report added.

Source: citinewsroom.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

General News

Tumu residents demand good roads ahead of Nana Addo’s visit

Published

on

Tumu residents demand good roads ahead of Nana Addo’s visit

For the first time since the revival of Paaregbielle festival celebrated by the Sissala people 10 years ago, a sitting President will attend the occasion which comes with excitement among citizens of the Sissala East Municipality.

The Ghana News Agency went into the Tumu Township to gauge the mood of residents about their expectations of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s maiden visit on Saturday, March 23.

Many want the President’s assurance on fixing the bad roads network of Wa-Tumu-Bolga as its deplorable state hindered economic activities, particularly with their francophone West African neighbours with huge market potential.

Many unemployed youths also appealed for jobs and want to remind the President of his promise to give them a district factory, citing as an example, the Tumu Cotton Ginnery yet to be made operational.

Others want the President to make a pronouncement on the employment of graduate teachers and community nurses, with some saying: “If our development needs are not addressed, we will hold our immediate leaders responsible”.

Mr Sani Jebuuni, a political activist of the National Democratic Congress, praised the President for the implementation of the planting for food and jobs programme and encouraged him to do more.

The Member of Parliament of Sissala East Constituency, Mr Ridwan Abbas Dauda, said the festival would offer an opportunity to the President to make a commitment and “once they are made they will be done for the people”.

“Saturday, we will all get a good package from the President from his visit and speech”.

Source. GNA

Continue Reading

General News

35 passengers burnt beyond recognition in Kintampo accident given mass burial

Published

on

35 passengers burnt beyond recognition in Kintampo accident given mass burial

At least 35 persons who were burnt to death on Friday when two high occupancy commercial vehicles crashed head-on near Kintampo in the Bono East Region have been given mass burial.

Fifty-six persons have been confirmed dead in the accident involving the two buses which were carrying a total of 108 passengers. Fifty-two others, including three children, suffered varied degrees of injuries.

Police and local government authorities say most of them were burnt beyond recognition, something that necessitated the mass burial at the Jema cemetery Saturday morning.

The burial supervised by the police, chiefs, sanitation and other local government officials, was attended by persons whose relatives were involved in the gory accident but could identify their bodies.

Most of the deceased who were in the bus that went up in flames when it collided, are said to be residents of Garu and its environs in the Upper East Region.

They were travelling from Garu to Kumasi in a GPRTU managed bus registered GT5694-18 when their bus collided head-on with a VVIP bus registered GT-3916-17 at Ampomakurom near Jema at about 2:00am Friday.

The intensity of the collision caused the Kumasi-bound bus to spark fire killing the occupants.

District Chief Executive for Garu, Emmanuel Asore who witnessed the mass burial Saturday told 3news.com “it’s a dark day for us all,” noting he lost a family member while his presiding member lost five relatives in the accident.

He said the whole of the Upper East region is morning with the families of the deceased, noting a memorial service and a vigil will be organised for the dead.

Mr Asore said “close to 35 of the victims were burnt beyond recognition”.

However, he revealed seven persons who were among those burnt to death have as of Saturday morning been identified by their relatives and have been released the bodies to them for burial.

“We believe it is designed by God so we accept it,” Mr Asore said, adding the latest ghastly accident should be a wakeup call to government, the police and the people of Ghanaian to take steps to prevent some of these carnage on our roads.

He underscored the need for vehicles to undergo proper checks before being released to ply on the roads and also asked transport operators to always ensure they have two drivers on a bus for long distances to avoid driver fatigue.

Source: 3news.com

Continue Reading

General News

Ask violent politicians to recruit relatives – Mustapha Hamid to Zongo youth

Published

on

Ask violent politicians to recruit relatives - Mustapha Hamid to

Ask violent politicians to recruit relatives – Mustapha Hamid to Zongo youth

The Minister for Inner Cities and Zongo Development, Dr Mustapha Abdul Hamid, has advised politicians, who are in the habit of using Zongo youth to foment political violence, to rather use their relatives for that purpose.

He said the youth should engage in violence if those asking them to do so have their relatives at the forefront.

Speaking at the formal launch of the Zongo Sensitisation Programme on Peace, Non-Violence and Development, the minister said the time had come for leaders in the various Zongo communities to rise up and stop politicians from using their places as recruitment centres for thugs or vigilantes for political violence.

He advised that the youth should not be blinded by party loyalty and take the law into their own hands, saying “when they come to you, ask the politicians to bring their sons and their daughters too. In fact, the politician’s son should lead the attack since it’s a good thing for them.”

He also stressed the need to do away with all narcotic dens in the communities with the support of opinion leaders and security agencies.

The CHRAJ Boss, Joseph Whittal, who was at the event, said that the opinion leaders can lead the effort to stop the Zongo youth from becoming vigilantes.

He urged the youth to be more development-oriented and empower themselves towards good education, improved sanitation, among others.

Mr Whittal also advised stakeholders to shun early marriages which, according to him, are prevalent in Zongo communities. “We cannot continue the age-old practice of neglecting the education of the girl-child. We don’t have to marry her off too early,” he stressed.

Lt Col Umar Sanda Ahmed (Rtd), a former Ambassador to Egypt, on his part, attributed vigilantism to ‘improper parenting’ – a situation where children at an early stage are not provided with proper education and family support.

The children, he said, become vulnerable and are easily recruited to engage in deviant behaviours when they grow up.

The stakeholders’ forum, which was organised by the Greater Accra Council of Zongo Chiefs, was attended by some prominent Zongo chiefs and personalities.

Also present was the National Imam of the Ahlussuna Wal Jamaa’a (ASWAJ), Hajj Umar Ibrahim.

Source: dailyguidenetwork.net

Continue Reading

Trending