Connect with us

Entertainment

I lose nothing if I don’t participate in Ghana Music Awards – Shatta Wale

Published

on

I lose nothing if I don’t participate in Ghana Music Awards – Shatta Wale

Multiple award-winning artiste, Charles Nii-Armah Mensah Jnr, popularly known in the music industry as Shatta Wale, who is currently facing an indefinite ban from the Ghana Music Awards, says he loses nothing from being left out of the annual award scheme.

He said the award scheme, which is supposed to recognize the efforts of artistes is rather being used to make money out of them, adding that the situation is as a result of artistes selling out their respect.

“I don’t lose nothing if I don’t participate in Ghana music awards, because I feel the award scheme has been created to make money out of us. The next thing is that the respect of Ghana musicians have been sold so cheap.”

Read Also  Pope Skinny blasts Shatta Wale and others for showing fake love to NAM1

The very vociferous musician made the statement in an interview on Metro TV’s Good Evening Ghana aired on Thursday night.

According to him, there are things he needs to channel his focus into, including things that will bring money into his account, which he said is more important than the prestige that comes with winning an award.

“People want to win awards, put it in their rooms and watch it every day, and feel good about it. But if I take you to my room right now I have a lot of awards that I can’t take a loan with it. I have awards that when I go to the embassy and I say give me visa for this award they won’t give me, unless I pass through the right channel. I believe that awards come, but I always tell my team that money comes before prestige.”

Read Also  Making French Ghana’s second official language is generational thinking - eShun

He mentioned that he does not understand the basis of his ban from the awards considering his actions in the incident that caused his ban.

“I didn’t attack anybody. All I saw was somebody attacking my crew before I got to the front of the stage, before I even got to the stage. So my problem here is where did I offend the award people for them to ban me, that’s my problem. They should ask the two people in front who were fighting that why were they fighting.”

Source:Ghanaweb.com

Entertainment

From Nollywood to Netflix: Genevieve Nnaji’s rise

Published

on

From Nollywood to Netflix: Genevieve Nnaji’s rise

Nigerian star and film director Genevieve Nnaji has already shown that she is a force to be reckoned with, so the disqualification of her Netflix film from the Oscars is unlikely to frustrate her ambitions.

In fact, the rejection of Lion heart earlier this month from the Academy’s best international feature film category may well act as a springboard for her future success.

The 40-year-old has starred in more than 80 films over the last two decades and her rise to prominence coincided with the exponential growth of Nollywood, as the Nigerian film industry is called, across Africa.

Yet she suffered a major setback in 2004 when she was blacklisted by a powerful cartel of film studios in Nigeria, along with several other A-list actors.

Nollywood ban

These film studios, operating out of Nigeria’s commercial hub Lagos and Onitsha in the south-east state of Anambra, largely bankrolled Nollywood in the 1990s and early 2000s.

They gave funds to producers and told them who to hire, says BBC Igbo reporter Vining Ogu, who used to be a film producer based in the southern city of Asaba.

“At some point, the studios felt these A-list stars were collecting too much money and felt they were being held to ransom,” he said.

“At its height, one actor collected 10m naira [$28,000; £21,000] in the early 2000s in cash, which was a lot of money.”

With no producer brave enough to go against the studios, Nnanji found herself out of a job – so she decided to move into music, releasing an album called One Logologo Line.

Read Also  Pope Skinny blasts Shatta Wale and others for showing fake love to NAM1

Her one and only album, it is best remembered for the track No More, a love song with lyrics that could be seen as metaphor for the rest of her career: “No more crying oh, No more fighting oh, No more tears oh, I got my freedom, power and more.”

Screenwriter and director Ishaya Bako traces her rise to the top and the birth of independent producers in Nigeria to that ban.

“The studios thing happening, there was some bad in it, but a lot of good came out of it,” says Bako, who worked with Nnaji on the Road to Yesterday in 2015 – when she made her debut as a producer.

“It made her realise there could be life behind the camera,” he said.

From there as a producer she had more power over what type of films she appeared in and what roles she played.

‘Nigeria’s Sharon Stone’ She started acting as an eight-year-old, starring in the popular TV soap Ripples.

Her Nollywood career really took off when she was 19 in Most Wanted, when she played one of four daredevil female armed robbers masquerading as men.

Film director Adim Williams say he takes some credit for “her rise to fame” when he cast her in his 2002 film Sharon Stone – not a biopic of the US actress – in which she played a flirtatious woman.

Read Also  Your family members were my fans before you started singing – Samini tells nominees for Artiste of the Decade

“In her rising days she was called Sharon Stone and I wrote and directed the movie, which was a massive hit and became sort of her identity,” he said.

He describes Nnaji as “very intelligent” and said she looked like she “was prepared for stardom” the first time he met her.

He says playing “similar characterisations” helped her in the early days, when she was cast as a “likeable, beautiful, loveable girl”.

Perhaps her upbringing had a hand in shaping some of her on-screen roles.

She grew up in the bustling city of Lagos in a middle-class home – her father an engineer and her mother a teacher.

Actor Richard Mofe Damijo, who has co-starred with her several times, says she is a natural on screen.

“She was and still is one of our queens and she always comes to the party with a winning spirit,” he told the BBC.

In 2011 she was honoured with an award by the Nigerian government for her contributions to the film industry – yet she was not done, wanting to try her hand at directing.

Could Netflix help rise standards? When in 2018 Netflix announced that it was acquiring the rights to Lionheart, her directorial debut, it was seen as a massive boost for Nigeria’s film industry.

Nollywood is a multi-billion dollar enterprise but with short turn-around times, not much attention is paid to technical details and storytelling.

With an average production budget of between $15,000 and $70,000, most films are shot within a month and expected to be profitable.

Read Also  Shatta Wale Gives His Best Advice to Bloggers and Ghana Music Industry

Kenneth Gyang, an independent producer based in the northern city of Jos, said Nnaji’s deal with Netflix “has opened up the possibility that money can be sourced from other avenues”.

“Netflix has a quality control that is very high. Now they [producers] know that if it is a very good film they can sell it as an original and make more money,” he told the BBC.

Film critic Oris Aigbokhaevbolo agrees that the Netflix deal showed other filmmakers that good films could be profitable.

When Lionheart was nominated for the Oscars, Nnaji described it as a “pivotal moment in the history of Nigerian cinema”.

However, films in the best international feature film category must have “a predominantly non-English dialogue track”.

Lionheart, in which Nnaji also stars, is largely in English, with an 11-minute section in Igbo – hence its rejection.

Nnaji hit out at the Academy, tweeting: “We did not choose who colonised us.”

But the rules were clear and the Nigerian selection committee had bungled it.

Yet some feel it may be a watershed moment for more local-language films to be produced.

“Nollywood has proven itself stubborn to change. Perhaps Genevieve and the rest will spearhead it,” says Mr Aigbokhaevbolo.

Source:primenewsghana.com

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Medikal slaps Fella Makafui over cheating issues in new film

Published

on

Medikal slaps Fella Makafui over cheating issues in new film

Medikal and Fella Makafui have set the internet ablaze once again.

The young actress has established a film production house under her name, Fella Makafui Productions, and her first project is out – a new movie that features her boyfriend.

In the film titled “F.R.I.E.S”, the couple acted as lovers, who at a point were engulfed in cheating issues in their relationship which ended up with the rapper slapping his girlfriend in the movie.

After Fella Makafui featuring a couple of times in Medikal’s songs and music videos, this becomes the first time the young actress has also pulled her boyfriend to her side of her profession.

Read Also  You’re like a cow being led to the slaughter house if you chase after sugar mummies - Prophet

Enjoy the trailer to the film below and don’t forget your reviews to the acting skills of the couple are welcomed.

Source:pulse.com.gh

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Lion Heart: Film on Nigerian sex workers disqualified from Oscars

Published

on

Lion Heart: Film on Nigerian sex workers disqualified from Oscars

The Academy of Motion Pictures has rejected a second entry for next year’s Oscar award for Best International Film.

The Austrian movie, Joy, is about Nigerian sex-workers in Vienna, but the Academy says it has too much dialogue in English.

Last week it turned down Nigeria’s own submission, Lionheart, for the same reason.

The rejections come in the year when the Academy re-named the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar award to Best International Film for “films that are not in the English language”.

News about the film’s disqualification was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter website, which said the Academy found that two-thirds of the dialogue in Joy was in English.

Read Also  SHOCKING! Fans troll Shatta wale on twitter

“As we do every year, the Academy is in the process of reviewing the films submitted for the International Feature Film category to determine whether they meet our eligibility rules. The film Joy, submitted by Austria, was just reviewed and is ineligible because only 33% of the dialogue is non-English,” a statement from the Academy says.

The movie was written and directed by Austrian filmmaker Sudabeh Mortezai.

Renowned film director Ava DuVernay has faulted the Academy’s decision

 

 

Source:bbc

Continue Reading

Trending