The University of Ghana, hereby, invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Director of Finance, to take effect from January 01, 2021.
POSITION: Director of Finance
• The Director of Finance is responsible for the financial strategy and management of the finances of the University. He/She shall maintain the integrity and consolidate on-going financial reforms in the University anchored on fiscal discipline within the framework of the Public Financial Management Act 2016 (Act 921), the Public Procurement (Amendment) Act, 2016 (Act 914), the Income Tax Act, 2015 (Act 896), as amended, various Financial Regulations and Professional Standards such as International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
Duties and Responsibilities
(1) The Director of Finance shall, under the Vice-Chancellor be responsible for:
• Developing the overall Financial Strategy of the University in consultation with key stakeholders.
• Preparing the Annual Budget of the University and shall present the same to the Council of the University for review and approval. He/she shall also submit periodic financial reports to the Council of the University on the status of plans and projections necessary for the preparation of budgets for succeeding years.
• Keeping proper and timely accounting records throughout the University, in line with all statutory and professional requirements
• Managing the financial assets of the University in a manner that is befitting of a world-class research intensive institution and in line with the University’s policies and procedures.
• Providing leadership to the entire Finance Team of the University, currently at over 100 persons.
• Designing and implementing accounting and internal control systems of the University in line with global best practices as enabled by the digital evolution.
• Without prejudice to the above, the Director of Finance shall take responsibility for the duties spelt out in the statutes and financial regulations of the University.
Qualification Required & Experience
The applicant must have:
• A good first University degree and professional qualification in Accountancy (ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CFA or CA) with at least 15 years’ relevant working experience; A Master’s degree in a relevant subject is an added advantage;
• Considerable working knowledge of a world-class ERP system for managing complex/matrix organisations. Experience using a Tertiary ERP software packages is an added advantage;
• A deep understanding of the Public Financial Management Act, 2016 (Act 921), the PFM Regulation, 2019 (LI 2378) and risk management;
• Experience with the conception, development, and deployment of internal control systems;
• Experience in treasury management;
• Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and/or the IFRS with a full compliant entity;
• Considerable strategic, interpersonal and collegial skills that will enable him/her function within the top echelons of an organisation;
• Good business sense with a deep understanding and appreciation of the strategic and operational issues in top-level university management and administration or a complex institution;
• High-level analytical skills and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders whiles showing leadership and competency;
• Understanding of processes involved in university decision making processes, policy development and implementation;
• Knowledge in resource mobilization, be a strategic thinker and a result-oriented person, drive innovations and achieves KPIs;
• Resolute position on ethics and professional integrity.
The person appointed as Director of Finance shall hold office for a period of four years and is eligible for re-appointment, subject to the usual terms and conditions of employment.
How To Apply For the Job